Cobra sways to the rhythm~Angie

I am not formally trained in writing, and I seem to be obsessing over this, but I like to talk, most of
the time. So this is going to be a ramble, but one I hope you find "something, or nothing" interesting about it,  either is alright with me.


   Someone once wanted me to be their "Cinnamon Girl" ( a song by Neil Young). That was a nice sentiment until the association with them ended.  But to this day, 37 years later, I remember him, the summer we hung out and the when and why of our association ending.  It's nice to have a song applied to you, even if I was not a band groupie. It was my tan that he thought of me as Cinnamony, and his being happy with a Cinnamon Girl that he attributed it to me.
   I am fascinated by music's ability to represent something/anything to the listener. I have adored a song for something in my life it resonated or resonates with; and that meaning might be something fragile, gentle, heart filling for me and simply mundane to the artist(s).
   Music has always been a fixture in our house. Our whole family(and I do make a broad assumption here)finds great pleasure in music.  Many of my cousins play musical instruments; as well as a deceased Uncle who played guitar, and my two deceased Great Grandmother's that both played the organ. I did not inherit musical talent, unless you count writing poetry. If someone had asked me as a child what instrument I would have liked to learn to play, it would have been the piano.
    Memories can be sparked in me, both wonderful and horrid in songs I hear. I tend to dwell only upon the wonderful, naturally.  When I was a child music/songs were magical creatures that kept their secrets(and mine) while presenting themselves openly, and being there for all to hear.
     Something that never fails to amaze me, maybe because of what it stirs in me and secondly because of how it sounds, is the guitar solo in the movie "The Song Remains The Same." Jimmy Page's guitar solo during  "Dazed and Confused" blows my mind. The sounds he is able to make with that bow string on that guitar! It gives me chills every time I listen to it. My cousin once remarked, "that music is for the insane."  I wasn't insulted, but thought it was funny.  Am I insane, or did he just not get it?  To this day that is my favorite version of that song.   Later, I read that Page was trying to kick heroin during that tour, and critics of the time knocked his playing!! I thought he did a fabulous job.
     I am comforted by my parent's music. They are both deceased and sometimes I miss them on a level that is unbelievably, and sometimes unbearably intolerable.  My Daddy and I connected through the sharing of music. Usually I would just bring him songs on mixed tapes that I thought he might enjoy. He came to like Alan Parson's Project, Rush, Stevie Nicks and Metallica, thanks to my sharing mixed tapes with him.  He once said, "that young man can play the hell out of that guitar." He was speaking of Kirk Hammett of Metallica.
     In her youth, Mother was a ballerina. She was good enough that her Russian ballet teacher was grooming her for a professional career.  Her hopes and dreams were dashed there at the age of 14 when she tore one of the cartilages in her knee.   Her appreciation of Chopin fueled my interest in Classical music. Brahms, Mozart and Tchikovsky are my favorites. I also like Rachmaninoff.
     I am not a religious person, but I have a hearty appreciation of  Russian Choral, Gregorian, Dominican Chant, and Southern Gospel music. Something haunting about the Russian Choral, and Chants, and I love the richness, depth and intensity of Southern Gospel. I used to go the beach as a child, and one morning I was hearing some songs. It was a Sunday, as this memory indicates, and I heard, "Go Tell It On The Mountain" and another one that just now slipped my mind!!("Shall We Gather At The River"). I was upset that I wasn't able to swim where we were, but was entertained listening to music while I was bored out of my mind.
     I can still recall songs that meant something to someone that they attributed to me, and I no longer speak to or know where these people are now.  My memory is horrible, but I can usually remember how I old I was when a certain song came out. I can't remember yesterday, but will remember a song that was popular when I was 7 years old.  That just might be what I need to keep my memory fresh.
     One thing I don't understand is musicals.  I guess I can to a degree, because "The Wizard of Oz",  "The Wiz," "Hello Dolly(with Barbra Streisand)" are musical movies. But the whole show tunes thing?   No idea.   I also don't understand plays. But it might just be that I like what I like and the others don't resonate with me. I certainly don't knock those whom appreciate things I do not. Unless it's hate or bigotry, but that is for another blog.
      I tend to hold onto music I have heard, and seldom venture out of my bubble. It's not a comfort zone, but for the most part, I stick with what I already know. I can listen to anything from "The Theme From Peyton Place" to "Harboring An Apparition" by Mouth of the Architect.  I came upon Mouth of the Architect while eating at a 24 hour establishment and the cook had it on the P.A.  It was the CD of  "The Ties That Blind."  I loved the music and after a long instrumental interlude, the singer let out with scream/singing and it touched me.  I had just lost the love my life, and my best friend, one month apart from each other(a year later than), and it captured my anguish perfectly.
       I tend to like music that is haunting, or otherworldly in my perception.,  I can appreciate various genre's, artists.  I prefer Roth's Van Halen as opposed to Hagar's Van Halen.   Well, I appreciate I think the first 5 Van Halen albums and then I stopped listening when I heard keyboards. I guess Eddie thought that would keep them "current?" definitely marketable, even if he lost original listeners like myself. I remember the first time when I saw them. Van Morrison opened for them, and the poor guy was pelted with anything the people in the pit could find to hurl at him.  I like almost everything of his that I have ever heard.  The second time I saw Van Halen was the Monsters of Rock tour at the Cotton Bowl, and Hagar had blow his voice, so Michael Anthony sang. He was GREAT!!!!
       I have a memory of watching Meet Joe Black, and was listening to the music. I was an insomniac then(chronically so, as opposed to moderately now), and as I watched the movie, I started to cry. The music was just so beautiful it moved me to tears. It also relaxed me and my love, Ryan, coaxed me to go nap. While I napped, he had gone to the store and purchased the soundtrack to that movie. I find that that movie resonates with me as well. Death takes a vacation. (Spoiler alert!!)
        It was my hope to see Led Zeppelin, and I think Daddy was keen on taking me and was going to look in to purchasing tickets, but shortly after this was decided, Bonzo died. That was very disappointing to both of us.  I eventually asked him if he wanted to see Pink Floyd with me, and he declined. I did attend, and was very glad, and kept Daddy there with me in spirit, if not in person.  He came to love Stevie Nick's and again I asked him if he would like to go with me, and he again declined. I did not attend her concert.
       I have a few songs I never get sick of and I listen to them often. They are "Seasons of Wither" by Aerosmith, "Would?" by  Alice In Chains," and "Visions of Paradise" by the Moody Blues.  Each has their own attributes that bring me back.   "Seasons of Wither" is the music and his singing. The lyrics don't resonate with me on a personal level, but the story does. "Would"? it's his voice, how he sings it and the music.  "Visions of Paradise" is the music, the message and the singing, along with the time period it was made known to me. I remember my Uncle being home on leave from Vietnam, or leaving for Vietnam, and he was in his uniform and that  music was playing. It is not why it is special, but it is a memory that stuck because of the song. I love the song because of his adoration for her, and how the song presents it.
    As an introverted kid, who had few friends, music was a constant companion.  I don't need it as much anymore, as I only listen to it in the truck when out and about or on the way to work, right now at work to keep me awake(as my wards are all asleep), or to help me get to sleep. Comment your favorite songs and why, or one that sticks in your mind prominently for some reason. I would be interested in reading about them.


Comments

  1. I was listening to a Greatest Hits album of the Italian movie composer Ennio Morricone as I read your blog. I had to pause it. I find it hard to listen to music and read about music at the same time. I tried to imagine and remember some of the music you wrote about, but wow are you eclectic. I like how sometimes it's the music and sometimes it's the association to a person, or an event, or a memory that is important.

    I first fell in love with Gabriel's Oboe theme from Morricone's music for the movie The Mission. I remember sounding out the tune in my bedroom on my clarinet back in my teen days. I never did that before. It was one of the first times I'd "sounded " it out.

    Another movie soundtrack I love is Elmer Bernstein's work on the "To Kill a Mockinbird" adaptation. The opening sequence is great, but it's the (spoilers) moment when Scout recognizes that it's Boo Radley behind the door...a pause in the music then just 3 little notes leading into delight and wonder...gosh. It blows me away every time.

    I had a tune about cheating that was stuck in me head last night. I listen mostly to local alternative radio. I have no idea who sings the song , but it's about cheating and this really light catch tune---playing over and over in my head. Gonna have to hunt for that.

    Thanks for your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pieces you are referring to very much.

      Delete
    2. I usually listen to music when I will actually sit in front of a movie. I find that I am liking more and more music that way. I haven't seen To Kill A Mockingbird yet, haha. But I won't remember the reference anyway. I liked the music to the original Pet Sematary movie, but it is not in print anywhere. Bummer. I am not sure if I would even like it at this point. I like some of Ennio Marricone's stuff as well. I prefer Hugo Montenegro's version of the Clint Eastwood western's music. Brahms showed me that I like the cello. I do like the clarinet as well. I like the winds and the strings. Some of the lower horns, but nothing high and screechy. I am stuck in a rut with music, because I don't like what they are producing now, although through messing around on my Spotify, I am finding more groups from genre's I like. My parents were big on movie music. I loved the music from the movie, The Year Of Living Dangerously. The music was done by Maurice Jarre. Vangelis makes and appearance as well. Enchantment At Kufu is my favorite song from that movie.

      Delete
  2. Good topic. Songs and music can definitely open the doors of memory. It occurs to me that I haven't dwelled on it in detail because so many of those doors open onto scenes I don't want to revisit. Certainly, there are plenty of good moments, but I have a difficult time just staying in the happy moment of a recollection. Most happy memories inevitably lead to some bad turn, and whether it's cowardice or simple weariness I find that I don't want to go there. That's one of the things I'm aiming to change, but it's taking effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great memories. I was just thinking about songs that gave me the chills. More so, in the past than the present. Don't laugh... One Tin Soldier from Billy Jack, and Don't Fear the Reaper, by Blue Oyster Cult. And one that still blows me away, is Baba O'Reilly, by the Who.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie, I'm commenting to test the system. Can you try replying and tell me what happens?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment