Nothing to Say... -----by Rey Don'tSay (the Saturday guy)

Writing’s hard. Coming up with something to write about is hard too.  

You see, I had an agenda about writing for this blog this week. An idea, per se. When you begin thinking and writing about stuff, other stuff pops in your head.  I worked and worked on my first blog last week, trying to produce something worthwhile and of tolerable quality.  Still, I kept realizing one thing over and over:

All the interesting things for me to write about are all about my diseases and suffering and stuff.

What did I have beyond all that?

Well, heck. Those are worthwhile subjects, and I have a WHOLE lot of personal stories and history and plain just insight into those dank, dangerous worlds.  But what else?

Is that all I am?

Thinking about it all week has led me to believe that it might disturbingly be true. Disease, and the dealing with it, may actually BE all that I’m about.

Sure, there’s movies, entertainment, music, and books to blog about, but the other writers in this Consortium are already covering much of that ground.  It seems too early for a crossover adventure. I don’t wanna step on toes. (I hoped you remembered that I’m paralyzed and I can’t ‘step’ anywhere.  Shame on you if you didn’t.)

I don’t work. My work history’s pretty shoddy anyways.  There’re reasons, of course, but that veers into mental health stuff.  More disease. We’re trying to stay away from that. For now, at least.  (It’s not that I’m not willing to talk about that subject, because, again, I’m leaving that for the future. We’ll get to it. There’re truckloads.)

The question is, what am I right now?  Outside of this disability-ruled universe?

The answer, sadly, (who knows WHAT you’re dodging, hah?!) is...um...nothing. Really and truly.

Nothing

Nothing

Nothing


So, let’s talk about nothing. Whaddya say?  You’ve got nothing to lose, don’tcha?  (snicker)

What does nothing mean to you?  There’s actually quite a lotta something there...if you pay it a little attention.

On the surface, it can mean the absence of stuff, of something.  Or the removal of it.  Like loss.  A person gone. Legs that won’t walk. (Dammit, no diseases, ya big dummy!). Those kinds of nothing hurt like hell.

Sometimes the nothing is a goal.  Clear your mind. Stop stressing. Let it go.  They’ve made a whole religion out of it.  Emptiness. Detachment. Nirvana.  Almost a connection to the void, huh.

Sometimes your dreams come to nothing. Nothing is working right.

Whenever they say, “Nothing is wrong with you” or you say “Nothing’s the matter,” it’s almost always the opposite, huh.  We LIE about the nothing not being anything! Oh, nevermind, it's not important.  Back off. Don’t bother me. (Please help!)

Another one we use to push people away is “There’s nothing I can do…” It’s a version of “I wish I could do something to help…”  Oftentimes there IS something, but we can’t think of it, or it’s too hard to do. Too messy.

“Nothing makes sense.”  Sometimes.

“Nothing you say is gonna make any difference anyway.”  That’s exactly what I’m saying.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do…” what I’ve been talking about. Get your lazy butt up.

Here’re some quotes about nothing. Warning: You may get a headache sorting out some of them. https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Nothingness

Here’s one from Mark Twain that got me a-shakin some:

“There is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a Dream, a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And You are but a Thought — a vagrant Thought, a useless Thought, a homeless Thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities.”
      --The Mysterious Stranger

That’s a bit of a downer, huh.  My favorite quote was this one:

“It is, no doubt, an immense advantage to have done nothing, but one should not abuse it.”
       --Antoine de Rivarol, Preface to Petit Almanach de nos Grands Hommes

I think I've abused my nothing card writing this article.


So what? What does nothing mean to you, Mr Rey, Saturday guy?

Well, I'm glad you asked. (Don't they always say that?)  Nothing is something I do, somewhat unconsciously, for the most part, I think.  That's most likely not true. I don't do nothing for nothing. You see, living requires effort. It takes a shitload of effort to get me up and going on a typical day.  And when I am up, and living, I have to face the fact that I'm a disabled person in a wheelchair.  I'm not the ambulatory tap-dancing fool I used to be. I have to embrace this new (hell, it's been 4 years) fucked-up identity. I have no choice. It's something I hate about myself and my situation.  So doing and being nothing is preferable. In my bed. Helpless. You see, I'm afraid. I'm a coward. Nothing is a blanket. A wall.

There's a price. Loneliness. Sadness. Maybe madness.

Dammit. I completely blew the "not talking about disability" thing.  After reading what I'd written at the beginning it was kinda bland. (It had nothing going for it. I'm shameless.) It needed a personal kick (well, I can't kick, but I can spasm...).  It needed some honesty. I hope you don't mind and forgive me.




Anyways. That’s enough of all this nothing for now. I’ve offered you nothing at all, really.

Still, I hope you got something. Maybe just a little something. Something to think about.  Because, to quote, Freddie Mercury…

Nothing really matters.  Anyone can see.  Nothing really matters...Nothing really matters...to me.

(Any way the wind blows……..GONG G G G G g g g g …)

Rey Don'tSay (Nuthin')




Comments

  1. You are making me think. On a lovely Saturday afternoon with the windows open and Wayne Shorter on the music machine, I’m thinking about the lengths I go to to avoid acknowledging nothingness. You also gave me a quick smile or two, Rey Don’tSay...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Nothing also gives you space. And space is room for adventure. For opportunity. That's why special whispers are sweet nothings. I've turned on Mr. Shorter on my YouTube so thanks for some great relaxing musical somethings.

      Delete
  2. "Nothing is a blanket. A wall." beautiful and powerful. I wept.
    Also, sir, this.... may it make you smile.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rubapQ221Jc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you. That song was really sumthin'. And I enjoyed the grins you gave me!

      Delete
  3. As with many of these posts, it's a lot to meaningfully unpack, and I'm not going to try to react to all of it now, in a comment.

    Suffering easily and often becomes its own universe. Trying to reach beyond it's a constant challenge. It's an intensely personal thing. While I strive for empathy, me trying to personalize what you're up against feels arrogant to me, so I try to check myself from pretending there's any equivalency between my imagining and your reality. I cannot truly know what that experience is, and I suspect that at least part of the time you're not really sure either. There's an odd magic in perceptions and perspectives.

    As for topics, while I will not claim to speak for Garbo, who invited each of us to this weekly project, I don't believe she meant for our initial assignments to be locked in and bounding us. It was more likely a default, or a starting point for each of us. I don't think it's in her nature to want to confine anyone. On the other hand, there's an argument for focus and discipline being important to growth.

    Still, Learning requires connections - learning IS making connections - and one thought often leads to places a casual outsider wouldn't immediately, or might never, reach from the same starting point. Following those trails is an important thing to do, even if it sometimes does seem to lead to nothing. Music, books, various entertainments, they're all a part of our lives. If you're writing about yourself and experiences, then they're inevitably going to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I'm Rey Don'tSay. While each of our sufferings are distinct and varied, and mostly so individual it can seem unique, it is actually a good thing to hear about the sufferings of others and their experiences. It lightens the feeling of being alone, knowing that others hurt. You can see where in ways they suffer more or at least differently than you. And you get a sense as to how others are handling it, which can act like pointers or advice on how you can handle your own burdens differently and hopefully better.

    I was aware of all those points you made about blog topics, but I appreciate you pointing them out. I needed to prove to myself that I'm more than my disability and disease. I didn't get very far. But it lead to the topic I decided to expound some about.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment