Books of Childhood and why I loved them 1963-1968





The Little Red Hen- This plump, glossy, hard-working hen had no luck at all getting her housemates to help with chores. I was freshly upset at each reading over how she had to fuss at them every day. She impressed me with her resolve, though I knew that this was probably what henpecking amounted to. I was visually aware of that term -I'd seen  poor Foghorn Leghorn's mate, "Now, sit on that egg!" Plus, I'd been around plenty of chickens at my grandmother Inez's, loving their beautiful, clucking, fussy disposition. I was sad when my aunt Lillie would catch one for dinner, but it didn't stop me from eating them. This was one of many Little Golden Books, or Whitman's Books, next to my bed, lined up on the small brass bookcase. I think I had two versions of this story. I find it adorable that children love to hear the same stories over and over. One of my kids loved a book called, The Elephant Tree, which didn't do much for me, as a reader, but you never know what enthralls them. The unanswered questions of childhood. I loved the red hen's apron, her little scissors, and her adorable bedroom. I could identify with her plight but hoped one day she'd stumble upon a different tactic to get some assistance from her crew. I knew I was probably more like that lazy dog, in my heart, especially when it came to toiling in the fields, but I would have helped with everything else, I promise Little Red.

Speaking of books about hens, I did not like Henny Penny. I disliked the singsong names, they made me cringe.  Books that featured singsong prose were hard for me to listen to.


One Fish, Two Fish...I know. Who didn't love this book? But for me, the amazing thing about this story was how unbenign some of these creatures were. As if an adult had grasped that children dealt with monsters every day, and we could handle it, so they offered us some options. Which was your favorite? I had two but this one remains one of my favorite images of all time... "We like to think and drink pink ink."


Go Dog Go was another favorite. The personalities -the facial expressions - the adult problems that played out serially throughout the story, like a good televison show or novel. I felt anxious every time the female dog asked the male dog, 'Do you like my hat?" and he'd say, "I do not. Goodbye." I hated this!! Now, I LOVE it. Of course at the end of the story when the dogs finally have their party in the tree, he does like her hat. I wonder if my hat collection doesn't partly arise from my commiseration with that try-hard yet never-crestfallen little dog.


Put me in the Zoo, and Ten Apples Up on Top - two more Seuss favorites, under his Lopshire and LeSeig pennames. Both had animals vs humans, and as always we were rooting for the animals. In Put Me In the Zoo, the Dog with his wonderful spots is so special, why won't those kids let him be in the zoo? Like the poor rabbit in the Trix commercials, those kids calling the shots made other kids mad! In Ten Apples Up On Top, the animals stacking apples for a fun contest must outfox the pesky humans who want to knock them off. These are the issues of childhood. Man, it is so hard to catch a break when you are packed in a classroom with 25 other kids who all want to knock your apples off or deny you a 'spot' in the zoo....



Dorrie the Little Witch- These were a magic balm for me. All of them, and I wish I owned all of them for when kids come to visit and it's raining, or it's too hot or too cold outside, or they just love to read. Dorrie is a sweet and mischievous little Witch who, with Glink her cat, always manages to save the day. She was no Madeline, who said poopoo to the tigers in the zoo, she was just born under a lucky sign with a good disposition and it always smoothed her way. Great illustrations--the facial expressions and details are thoughtful and imaginative. I loved acting these out with my sister in my grandmother's bathroom. Using the toilet as a cauldron, we created many potions of bath powder and toothpaste and who knows what. Thankfully we didn't die of poisonous gas. Thanks, Dorrie.


Witch of Hissing Hill, this was a school book club selection and a well-loved one. I kept if for many many years. It must have eventually been loaned out to a child who could not stand the thought of returning it. The premise: A grumpy old witch with sore feet is known far and wide for the splendid black cats she raises. But then...her pregnant cat. A gold kitten. Ah, the relief. I think I was impressed with how grownups could be in a bad mood because their feet hurt (really, every day?), or some other reason. It may not be me causing that bad mood, after all. And how a sweet pet could make things better, as they truly do, in every way.


Baby Island -As many of you know I had my first child at 16. Looking back at some of my interests I see a trend... this book was one of many I checked out from the St. Louis Buder branch library. It's the story of two sisters and four babies who survive a shipwreck and become stranded on a deserted island. I definitely noticed there were no diaper changes, and a few other practical details, but everything else appealed to a maternal instinct which I suppose I was born with. By the author of Caddie Woodlawn, which is sometimes required reading, today.



That Barbara- Another relatable heroine, well-intentioned but missing the mark, Barbara was a bit of a mess. Until one day in a storm,  when she has sole responsibility for a sick child. Through determination, wit, and strength of spirit, she does manage to save the day. Well, those qualities, and a jar of bear grease, which I still think about to this day, every time I open a jar of Vick's Vapo-rub. What did bear grease smell like? A very good book about being true to yourself and trusting life.  Later in life, I'd meet a real-life Barb whose childhood was very much like the Barbara in this book. I miss her still.
There are many more but this is all for today. ~Oldgirl






















Comments