Expounding On Grumpy Pants

  What is the song that gives you goosebumps? Are you lucky enough to respond to music like that?  If you aren’t, how does music affect you in way different from your normal?  How do you listen to music?  Should I say, hear music?  Even better, feel music?  Is there music that moves you to tears? Is there music that makes you angry?
   I have read that a person can become addicted to music. I have known someone that falls into this category.  But they aren’t genuinely, socially adept, and lose themselves in music, because they genuinely can’t empathize with those around them.  They present an open and caring facade, but if you read people, know people or a person in this case; you know they are the man behind the curtain.
   They shut the world out and “self-medicate,” dismiss others, and generally run to music as Momma’s breast as it were.  Now, this doesn’t sound like a loving estimation, but I mean no animosity. It is just how they are in reality.  They are one of the most negative people I have ever encountered in my life. Paradoxically, they prefer bouncy, “happy,” feel good inside, music.
    I recall their saying they didn’t like the band TOOL because they didn’t like the singer’s voice.  I knew it was because they couldn’t grasp the lyrics in most of the songs, and plus TOOL can take one on a ride down self-realization in way that might not be comfy for some.  Later, in the course of knowing them, they came to like them, in my estimation, “ a bit.”  
    I no longer interact with this person because of their emotional intelligence being unbearable.  Their narcissism quite tiring.  Their lack of growth, depth, and honesty(after 13+ plus years of knowing them) and just tired of being exhausted after being around them.  I used to make allowances for them until I realized I was making allowances for them.
    I never did figure out how someone so “them” could like happy-pappy music.  I realized it’s like any junkie; to not face the reality that made them an addict.  I guess it would be along the lines of: “I am a shit, but I will listen to happy-pappy music and deny it to myself.  There is actually a simple complexity there.  I think if you ever asked for their music list AND you didn’t KNOW the REAL them, their list could fool you, along with their lack of being genuine.  
    Have you ever noticed that the word genuine got replaced with the term “transparent?”  If one thinks of  transparent, wouldn’t it mean “ see through?”  I think the shortening of the word legitimate to legit some how makes something LESS legitimate, but that is just me.  I think in some “old school” contexts it fits. But the way millennials use it for almost anything they want someone to believe them; is like nails on the chalkboard(remember those?).
     Back to grumpy pants....I guess when my life settled down a bit and actually paid attention to them in depth, I realized their “thing.”  I didn’t realize until much later in our association.  But they were fully aware they were a shit.  Inconsiderate unless it suited them or gained them some unfulfilled need being met.  Always riding in on some estimation of Bugs Bunny’s white horse, complete with costume(think Elmer Fudd, not Bugs in drag).  
     So you take a poo( no not Winnie the PooH), and you dip in sprinkles....pretty much sums it up.  The cake is gross, the frosting covers the fact and for  added measure, let’s dump cheery sprinkles on the depravity, despair, and inability to be transparently genuine or legitimately legit.
      They smack their metaphorical veins to shoot up their metaphorical drug.  I wonder in hindsight, what song they could run off and listen to, then return and apologize for being themselves in their glory.  What saccharine song could placate Grumpy Pants and have them present as repentant (if you don’t know them), looking at you with expectant eyes; not to see forgiveness, but if you actually fell for their crap. Just like a junkie.
       I could go on and on, but it veers away from music and become a study in the psychology of  “ I used to know them, now I’m glad I’m done with them.”  AKA: “ Grumpy Pants.” One of their most liked songs was WALKING ON SUNSHINE by Katrina and the Waves.  The irony.




Comments

  1. I was stopped in my tracks almost at the start, because while the idea of being swept by goosebumps when hearing a certain song at a certain time resonates with me as a personal experience - I know it's happened, and more than once - but I can't pin down a specific example. It makes me wonder how long it's been since that happened, and is another example of how lost I've become to myself. How out of touch with myself. How calloused or self-anaesthetized. Wow. Add that to the list of things I need to work on.

    As for "transparent", I've taken that in the spirit of trying to not hide behind something. Not putting up a front, a deception or glamour. Then again I think I mostly come across the use of "transparent" with respect to someone's actions, usually because they're in some position of power, influence or agency.

    Definitely, if this person gets under your skin as much as seems to be the case, shutting them out is almost certainly a good move. As someone who's caught himself in more than one self-deception over the years I'd probably take a long view in thinking I might try to reconnect at some time in the future - maybe they'll have had an epiphany - but saving that for a stronger time in one's life is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds suspiciously like my ex in places... But this made me laugh aloud others :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment