A Vintage Drive Through The United States--by Bryan F.

I love imagery from my childhood in the Fifties. Many of the cars were works of art. The architecture of the cities and towns reflected a different time. A time when things were often built to last. The Art Deco and the building and art from the WPA period cause my heart to swell. These are the images my young mind recorded. Streamline Modern architecture can still be found throughout the US and Frank Lloyd Wright's creations are museums unto themselves.

I acknowledge that socially these times were horrific for people of color and all poor people, but progress was happening and opportunities were expanding until we elected an actor to be President in 1980. At that point, progress reversed. 

I don't look back on the Fifties with longing as many my age do. I know it was a bad time for many. I do love many of the creative evolutions of art and architecture and car designs we created though, and I wish I was sharing pictures of vintage trolleys and other mass transit that was stifled by the early gas and tire companies, instead of cars that polluted our air. I can't change what happened but I can enjoy the creativity of the human mind. 

Below are postcards I have collected depicting town and city scenes from that era. They range from the 20s through the 60s. A couple of linen postcards are included as well. I have included the names of the towns, but left the year and model of the cars for you to figure out. 

A collection of California cards well follow next week. There were too many to include in this post. 

I hope you'll find this entertaining during this trying time. Stay well and wash your hands.




Coffee shop in Grants Pass Oregon.


Tulsa, Oklahoma.


Truckstop in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. U.S. Highway 66.


Red River, New Mexico.


 Vaugh, New Mexico.
U.S.Highways 60/285/54
Owners: Mr. & Mrs. Pete Lucero



   
72 East Congress, Tucson, Arizona. 
The city of my birth.


Southwest of Tucson, Arizona.


216 E. Main, Mesa, Arizona.
U.S. Highways 60/70/80/89.


N. Brown St.



This card was found by me in my Grandma's

things after she died. It was sent on May 16, 1968, by me and my sibling when our family traveled to Sacramento to visit my Uncle Efton and his new family.
I remember it well. We got caught in a late snowstorm in Donner Pass and my Dad got through without chains by following a semi-truck.
"The Famous Comstock Lode, Virginia City, Nevada"



Little America, Wyoming.




Cheyenne Lodge. 
"Marks the terminus of the Cheyenne Mountain Highway and offers the most magnificent as well as newest views of Pikes Peak Region." 
Colorado


U.S. Highway 66, Interstate 40
Vega, Texas


"Thousand of Ozark Souvenirs"
I-44, U.S 66, At the west edge of Rolla, Missouri.


Highways, 30 and 41, Near Dyer, Indiana. (Only 35 miles south of Chicago Loop.)


Chicago





Williams County Courthouse.
Bryan, Ohio.


Monroeville, Penna. 


Fraley Street as viewed from Penn-Kane Hotel. 
U.S. 6 and State Route 68.
Kane, Pennsylvania.


Third Street looking South. 
Troy, New York.


Radio City Music Hall. 
New York, New York.


Route 11 and I 21 -Lewiston Street.
Mechanic Falls, Maine.






United States Capitol

Washington, D.C. 



Inland Waterway, Wrightsville Sound, North Carolina.





Stuckey's Pecan Shoppe
Highway 301 and 15
Summerton, South Carolina




Downtown Key West, Florida


Comments