Nostalgia

   Do you ever hear a song that immediately takes you back to the memory that lodged it in your mind?  Often I can’t remember yesterday, but let me hear a song from when I was ten and I can remember singing it while jumping in the waves at ten years of age.
    I am not a very people-y kind of person, but one gift I have received from people, is their music.  Even if I have met people that are no longer in my life, often times I a left with their music. In high school a guy that I had a weird connection with introduced me to the Scorpions.  A group of kids I hung out with that summer, introduced me to Robin Trower, Kraftwerk, and expanded my knowledge on Black Sabbath’s catalogue.
     With my best friend gone, all of the things we listened to through the years keep my memories with her alive, because I have memory issues now.  She and I were together constantly and. We would listen to Steely Dan(mine), James Taylor, Journey and 80’s/9o’s radio(hers).  She also opened up the classical scene more for me.  She and her beau at a certain time, discussed different composers and I was privy to conversation. She mentioned Dvorak(his) and Bartok(hers).  I prefer hers.
      Thanks to Spotify, I have been able to find songs I had forgotten by searching for  a song I recall, and that leading to ‘you might like’ choices popping up in my feed.  I am always intrigued and brightened when someone that is a FB friend posts something that jibes.  The distance of having not met them, but having had them as a friend for years, and the. Finding other things in common, makes for a strengthened connection just over music or other interests.
 

Comments