Scratched Records 1964-1971

I have been feeling unwell, like many of you. If we are lucky we will be in the 80% who experience a mild case of this virus. While laying in bed, I thought about how much easier it is to find and hear music, any music you might want. It was necessary to buy a record in a store, at one point, though I guess Columbia Music record club was viable, too. My little brother worked quite a scam with them in the '80s... But when I was young, typically, you bought a 45 or an album, and if you totally fell in love with a song, you got up and moved the arm back to that track, careful not to let the needle catch the LP. Of course, you could play a stack of 45's. They would drop down one after another onto your record player, the little DJ inside you having set up your playlist just right...Soulful Strut right before Build Me Up Buttercup. Record player and turntable were interchangeable terms for a period of time before the more highfalutin term took over. My dad gave me my first record player when I was 6 along with Meet the Beatles.

In this blog post, I'm going to link songs that may have caused scratched albums because they got played over and over. 


It Won't Be Long

As Tears Go By
This song was beautifully sung by Marianne Faithfull and was a hit before the Stones recorded it themselves. I was very struck by her voice and her beauty when I heard her sing this song on either Shin Dig or The Ed Sullivan show in 1965. Here she is:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG8FFJQYoTM

Blogger wouldn't let me post anymore and it rearranged some of the songs in this list so I'm not sure how they will flow... and I need to stop anyway but may you have a pleasant and happy week with enjoyable listening. The easy way...


~Oldgirl

Comments

  1. The soundtrack of my youth. Deja Vu was the one I wore all the way through and Marianne can still bring a tear to my eye. I hope she recovers soon. Thank you. I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice assortment.

    The two that threw me, as I don't ever recall hearing them before, were the bouncy, "As I Recall It" by Donovan (which is now locked in my mind as a weird, old-timey musical bridge between him and some '90s Beck), and the purely instrumental "Embryonic Pillow" from Jefferson Airplane.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment