Reaction videos

 I love watching people from different musical tastes reacting to video's.  I myself couldn't do it. I am not objective enough.  I watch a lovely gentleman on YouTtube :Jamel_AKA_Jamal.   His name is Jamel, but is often called Jamal. He said he will answer to both, but his actual name is Jamel. I love watching his videos because he can be objective, but even so he completely adores the music sent to him.
  I have made suggestions to him that he has listened to; from the bands Pink Floyd, Rush, and Steely Dan.  We are collectively(his viewers and I) going through a Steely Dan journey with him.  He really loves them. He had never heard of Rage Against The Machine, and he completely loves them and identifies with their messages. Jamel grew up in a rough part of  L.A.  He may have specified but I can not remember.
  He works retail in California. I think he posts video's everyday.  It's fun to hear his interpretation of songs I have listened to all of my life, and see what his take on the song might be. He often  has it a bit off, but sometimes he is right on the mark.  We haven't even gotten him started on the Moody Blues yet.
  He said he finds it ironic, that a lot of music he enjoys and listens to over the store's(where he works) loop are songs we suggest for him. He loves this, because he gets to associate the band with the music, and often he likes to watch live versions, so he can see who is playing what, who is singing, and things along those lines.
   It is really unfortunate that there aren't that many Jimi Hendrix video's anymore.  I think what he has seen, blew his mind.  He has reviewed Selena, some Spanish music, lot's of rock, and so many other things. If you are interested in these types of video's he is a refreshing, peace loving compassionate person, and I thoroughly enjoy his reviews.
  If I were not at work where there are some parental controls on the computer, I would post a view of his video's. But to any of you that return to this blog again and again, I can make a collage post of his reactions.  Jamel suggests sharing his video's, so I think it would be alright for me to share it in this forum, as it will represent his "brand" for his YouTube channel.
  I have been watching two college kids do reviews as well. I find it interesting to watch those two, since they are so young, and coincidentally or not, often what someone else has reviewed, someone else will review it shortly after.  The two college guys are each musicians, and if you speak music, you can understand their interest a bit better when they use the jargon with one another.
  Their names are Alex and Andy, but I can't recall what their page is called. I usually identify the channels I watch by their thumbnails, rather than names.  I haven't been watching them as long as I have Jamel's channel.  It's entertaining to me to watch them and see if they agree on one another's take on the songs.
   Alex has his own band, I don't recall the name, and I am pretty sure he plays some instrument. I am not sure if Andy is in a band, but he plays an instrument as well. I would say along the lines of bass or guitar for each or either of them.  Of course, they could both be proficient at both.
   Who ever watches Andy and Alex's reactions, usually suggest main stream songs from the radio of bands, so Grandma(myself, at age 55) creeps in and comments the songs that lacked radio play and are amazing.  I am not sure what genre of music Alex plays, but he has long hair, of course these days, that doesn't represent much anymore. I would not suppose he is metal or any thing just because of the length of his hair.
   While I am talking about YouTube, I thought I would mention it is a shame that you can't see Jimi Hendrix video's anymore. All you stumble across is people doing cover's. I do not enjoy those kinds of video's, well for one, no one can compare to Mr. Hendrix, and any other attempts are subpar in my humble opinion.  I digress a bit. Stevie Ray Vaughn was able to play some Hendrix much along the lines of the man himself, but I still prefer the original. I have been listening to his music all of my life, so I am pretty much a die hard fan.
    This brings me to another point; what the hell is the music industry doing these days?  The crap that is mainstream these days is..well, crap!  I can not tolerate any of the things you might see on youtube by current artists.  I am sure they have their fan base and maybe I am an ole Granny set in her ways, but I hate the radio play so much here(Austin, TX) that I either listen to a San Antonio station, or will just turn to a country channel. That says a lot about me, coming from a background of heavy metal and sludge metal appreciation.
   I prefer older country. That reminds me, I should see if anyone does reaction video's to country stars.  It would have to be older country in my case, because I am very particular about what I will/can tolerate when I listen to music.  I don't care if Baby has her Blue Jeans on, and I don't care if Elvira is doing whatever it is she does.  I do like where George Strait's past loves live, and I do like the He Stopped Loving Her Today, with Mr. George Jones telling us about it.
   If you are interested in watching reaction video's, definitely check out Jamel on his YouTube page. He is a very positive person, has merchandise if you're interested in that sort of thing. His community page is very positive and encouraging in times like we are going through at present.


Comments