Karen Carpenter: The Voice of an Angel--by Bryan F.



I have loved and been restored mentally and physically by the music of the Carpenters for the last fifty years. Karen's voice, in particular, has a healing effect upon me. They were with me when I was trying to find my identity as a young gay man. They came back and offered their healing vibrations when I was traumatized by HIV/AIDS. They were there again when my Mom passed and many, many times in between. They were there for the less painful moments when I also benefited from their music and for those times I was able to just love it in more joyful times, like when I lived by the ocean.
I love many artists including some favorites like Barbra Streisand and Bette Midler. I have loved Neil Diamond for nearly as long as Karen Carpenter and many others, but none could heal my soul like Karen. 
Of course, I was devastated when she passed and can only imagine what she would have created had she not. It's a place I don't allow myself to visit very often. 
I am forever grateful for what she and Richard were able to create in that time but much like Kurt Cobain, I am left hungering for a little more. 



Now and Then, was released May 1, 1973, the same year that this concert program was sold at their concerts. Proceeds benefitted The American Cancer Society. The images below are from the eight-page, 9"x13" booklet. I acquired it on eBay. Sadly, I never made it to a Carpenters concert in person. The eleven images below are from this program that I own. I have added a couple YouTube songs and videos to go along.


















Their talent was unquestionable. They were branded with the moniker, Goody Four Shoes from the hard rockers that dominated the same space and time. It was an unfair slur for a talented duo that would outlast most of their detractors. 
They both studied music and formed a band while attending Cal State Long Beach, now California State University, Long Beach. In 1976, I lived in an apartment on Pacific Coast Highway one vacant lot from the school. I used to imagine going back in time and wondering over to the campus to listen to them practice. Yes, I had been a devoted fan since about 1970. In fact, my 1971 high school junior year yearbook is adorned with their lyrics. See images of my yearbook at the bottom of the article. 














If it's possible to choose one of my favorites, Close To You, is it. Song For You, stands alone for me as my all-time favorite song by any artist, however. I can recall listening to Close To You, in my VW back in about 1974. I imagined that it was a boy dreaming of another boy and the one I would meet that night when I went to the disco to find my true love. I'd be dressed in my best dance clothes my eyes closed sitting in the driveway of my grandparent's house where I lived at the time and just slipping away for a few precious minutes into the song. I'm sure my Grandparents thought me daft.




This Leon Russell song is sung no better by any other than by Karen. Many have done a beautiful job including Leon Russell, but none have reached the beauty that she infuses into the lyrics. 

















From one of their early TV specials. It is one of my favorites. They are both still so young and Karen still seems happy.









Rainy Days and Mondays: Old Richard playing the harmonica at the beginning of this video made my face wet.









Goodbye to Love




I'd sure like to have some of that promotional merchandise. 








The back cover of the concert program.



Masquerade, another Leon Russell song. Just a bit more proof that she was the greatest singer of all time. 


The following nine images are from my 1971 yearbook. The yearbook committee apparently were Carpenters fans, as well.




The picture on the left is the road right next to where I lived. Notice the smog.















I'm the guy on the left with the groovy glasses.
I was known by Harold in those days. Bryan is an assumed non-legal name. 
I figured someone would want to see what I looked back then since I was posting from my junior yearbook. I was 16 years old in this picture.
This was the year I became acquainted with The Carpenters music.




Karen was never happier than when she was behind the drums. I wish she'd stayed there.




Voice of the Heart: One of her solo albums. Richard wasn't happy about it. She needed to do it though. I respected her for showing some courage around her very strong-minded family. It was released after her death, Richard finishing up the tracks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_the_He





A gift from Richard to his sister, he conducts the Royal  Philharmonic Orchestra, adding his piano and Karens voice.Have tissue at the ready.



Comments

  1. Wonderful. All of it. They were so special and made a beautiful impression on their time. I also love you yearbook memories! So adorable, and you are quite handsome!
    (Was Cobain a Carpenters fan?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know whether Cobain was a Carpenter fan. Was saying that he left me hungering for more the same way Karen did. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, I poured my heart into it.

      Delete

Post a Comment