Things Learned the Hard Way







Two things happened this week that made me think about lessons I've learned the hard way. I ordered a questionable device to help stop colds, and a few friends told me I'd been had. Maybe, I have - it won't be the first time.  And another friend made a Facebook post about lessons from childhood, which made me remember a few...


I've had hats and boots come home with me from the store, and later, regretting my purchases, I've returned them. But, sometimes I keep them. And never wear them. Accepting their reproach.... Go ahead, boot, SAY it.



Furthermore, these hats and boots have not served as the talismans I'd hoped they'd be. They've never prevented further impulse buys. I expected more out of these two.


Frozen orange juice concentrate eaten straight out of the can is not a substitute for a creamsicle. Especially eaten furtively under the bed after being told no. 


Don't catch frogs (toads) and put them in a rain barrel overnight. Still the guilt.

Don't expect a poor dead chipmunk you've buried and given a funeral for to go to heaven body and all, even as you check on that by digging him up day after day... Existential problems arise. And gross.

Toys for Tots doesn't mean you get a tot in exchange for that toy. And what exactly did you... Sheesh.




Those colorful balls in the popup push toy by Fisher-price are NOT candy and you really knew that before you broke your sister's toy. Mean.

Your baby brother probably won't thank you when he's older because, wow, he can do splits sooo easily! if you always stretch his legs apart when you change his diaper. No, he will not.

Writing your name on your school papers as DiDi is not going to make you feel any different at all, especially not French, and you will not appreciate the reminders later in life. 

Sacrificing your new Francie doll's stockings in the fake fireplace will not be enough to change your fate. You must give your Ice Capades ticket to your little sister because you're too sick to go. And you'll never ever go. And those were cool tights, sucker.




There are others related to love and compound interest but those are for another day.~Oldgirl











Comments

  1. I think most people were at least curious about those colorful balls in the Fisher-Price "corn" popper, too. You just did it on behalf of the legion of the rest of us who lacked the nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee sorry about the tights :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment